Reverend Renee Sheppard was born in Detroit, Michigan to the late Mr. Lawson McCarty and the late Mrs. Mamie McCarty. She received a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Spring Arbor University and a Doctorate of Theology Degree from International Apostolic University of Grace and Truth. She has done Foreign Missionary work in Haiti several times for Apostolic Assemblies of Christ, Inc. While on one of the trips, a revolution engulfed Haiti and several foreigner and missionaries were killed, No one could come into the country nor leave the country during this time. Ultimately, the Lord spared her life and she was able to return to the United States of America after approximately a week of terror.
Reverend Sheppard is the Pastor of the Away Apostolic Church located in Dayton, Ohio. She is also re-opening the First Bible Church and Bible College.
She is the widow of the late Bishop Dr. Robert Sheppard. They have two daughters, Robin Renee Blathers (Middle School Teacher currently pursuing her Doctorate degree in Education) and Rosanta Marie Johnson (Cardiology Clinical Nurse Specialist) and two grandchildren, Thomas Baker and Elijah Baker.
Her Community activities include or have included the following:
- Coordinator for West Montgomery Food Pantry for over 20 years.
- Central Committee Member of the Montgomery County Democratic Party
- Executive Committee Member for the Montgomery County Democratic Party
- Volunteer for the Community Action Agency
- Member of the Dayton Unit NAACP and former Chair of the Political Action Committee
- Board member of Edgemont Neighborhood Coalition
- Participated in a civil Rights Rally in Detroit where the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King spoke.
- President of the Germantown Street Business District
- DCRN Board Member